Reporting child abuse

If you believe without doubt that a child has been sexually abused you must report that information to the police.

Child abuse is a serious problem. In Victoria, if you suspect a case of child abuse or are mandated to report abuse, then you can contact Child protection for advice.

For immediate help

  • To report concerns that are life threatening, ring Victoria Police 000
  • To contact a Child protection office close to you, call a local office.
  • To report concerns about the immediate safety of a child after hours, call After Hours Child Protection Emergency Service

For further information

Information on how abuse can be recognised can be found in the You and your child - a guide for parents of a child who has been sexually abuse publications on this page.

Failure to disclose child sexual abuse offence

The Criminal offence for failure to disclose child sexual abuse came into effect on 27 October 2014. The offence requires that any adult who holds a reasonable belief that a sexual offence has been committed in Victoria by an adult against a child (aged under 16) disclose that information to police. The offence applies to all adults in Victoria, not just professionals who work with children, unless they have a reasonable excuse.

Victoria Police
After hours child protection emergency service
131 278

5.00 pm to 9.00am Monday to Friday
24 hours on weekends and public holidays

Child Protection