Applying for records

You are required to be on the Adoption information register before information about an adoption can be released to you.

Under the Adoption Act 1984, adopted people, natural parents, adoptive parents, eligible natural relatives and adult children of adopted people are entitled to apply for adoption information.

If you are seeking information about a former ward of state or someone who is affected by adoption in Victoria, please complete the relevant section of the application form.

All applicants will be required to provide current signed identification as proof of identity. There may be additional identification or consent required before your application can be processed. 

Applications about institutional or Out of home care records

Victorian care leavers include Forgotten Australians, former wards of state and people who have lived in foster care or residential homes through the Child protection system. care leavers and their relatives can apply for their records under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.

If you are seeking information about a care leaver an application may be made under the Freedom of Information Act 1982. More information about making an application may be found on the Making a Freedom of Information Request page on the department's website.