Eligibility and applications

Victorians who have a permanent or long-term disability, or are frail aged can apply for subsidised aids and equipment.

The Aids and Equipment Program provides subsidised or reissued aids and equipment, home and vehicle modifications to help people live safely and independently in their own home. Re-issued items of equipment are available at no cost to the person with a disability.

Who is eligible

To be eligible, you need to:

  • Be a child or adult with a long-term or permanent disability and/or is frail aged.

In addition, you need to:

  • Be a permanent resident of Victoria, or
  • Hold a Permanent Protection Visa – resolution of status (RoS) (subclass 851), or
  • Be an asylum seeker (may also be protection visa applicants) Note: Refugees are initially asylum seekers.

Who is not eligible

You are not eligible if you:

  • Live in an Australian Government funded residential aged care facility
  • Receive aids and equipment through other government funded programs such as Workcover, Transport Accident Commission (TAC) or the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA)
  • Are able to claim the cost of aids and equipment through a private health insurance provider
  • Are an inpatient of a public or private hospital, or within 30 days of discharge from a public hospital.

How to apply

If you believe you are eligible, contact the State-wide Equipment Program or relevant equipment service:

You will need to arrange for an assessment from a prescribing therapist, usually an allied health or health professional, to determine the most appropriate and cost effective aid or piece of equipment for you.

A general application/eligibility form for aids and equipment will need to be submitted along with a copy of the prescribing therapists' assessment report.

Types of equipment and subsidies available

The list of aids and equipment subsidised by the aids and equipment program includes:

  • Wheelchairs, mobility aids, beds and hoists
  • Pressure care equipment
  • Shower chairs
  • Grab rails and ramps
  • Home modifications
  • Vehicle modifications
  • Electronic communication aids
  • Environmental control units
  • Domiciliary oxygen
  • Lymphoedema compression garments
  • Continence aids.

What if you are receiving a Australian Government home care package?

If you are receiving Home Care level packages you are able to apply to the aids and equipment program.

Home Care level packages 1 and 2

If you already receive this package, you are are eligible to access all items currently available through the program in line with existing guidelines.

Home Care level packages 3 and 4

If you already receive this package, you are eligible to apply for:

  • Power wheelchairs and associated initial customisation
  • Scooters
  • Home modifications.
Disability Services
1300 650 172 (local call fee) or For the hearing impaired TTY: (03) 9096 0133