Information and advice for young people

Information and advice is available for young people and their families and carers.

Young people sometimes need support when they are experiencing challenges in their lives.

The contact information on this page, including websites and phone numbers, will help you find services in your local area. Topics include counselling, health, education, housing, disability, parenting, legal assistance, refugee support services and mentoring.

  • General information

    For general information relating to young people, including available services and programs:

    Youth Central

    Youth Central has lots of information for young people about study and training, jobs and careers, advice for life and getting involved.

    Frontyard Youth Services

    Frontyard Youth Services is for young people aged between 12 and 25 years. Frontyard services meet the physical, social and emotional needs of at-risk young people.

    Phone (03) 9611 2411 or free call 1800 800 531

    19 King St Melbourne VIC 3001

    Safe Steps

    Safe Steps assists women and their children experiencing family violence through a 24-7 phone line and specialist support services.

    Phone 1800 015 188

    Child FIRST and family services

    Child FIRST and family services can help when a young person and their family are experiencing serious difficulties.

    Child FIRST (Child and Family Information, Referral and Support Teams) is the entry point into family services.  

    Child Protection

    Contact Child Protection if there are reasonable grounds for believing a child is at risk of suffering significant harm.

    Young Carers

    Young Carers provides information for young carers under 25 years of age who are looking after a family member. Young Carers is part of Carers Australia.

    Adolescent family violence

    Adolescent family violence service aims to reduce family violence and increase the safety of all impacted family members through the provision of a family-based case management and group-based support to young people using violence against a parent or carer.

    School Leaver Employment Supports

    School Leaver Employment Support or SLES, is a NDIS support for Year 12 students.  SLES is about giving young people the skills and confidence to help move from school to employment. SLES offers individualised support for up to 2 years after finishing year 12 to help young people get ready for work.

    Legal Aid

    Legal Aid have lawyers who can talk to young people about how the law applies to their situation. They have 14 offices in metropolitan and regional Victoria. They also provide services at many courts, tribunals and other locations throughout Victoria.

    Phone 1300 792 387, weekdays from 8.45 am to 5.15 pm


    Youthlaw is Victoria’s statewide free community legal centre for young people under 25 years of age. Youthlaw works to address the legal issues facing young people through legal services, advocacy, law reform and preventative education programs, within a human rights and social justice framework.

    Youth Affairs Council Victoria (YACVIC)

    Youth Affairs Council Victoria advocates for young people and represents the youth sector to uphold the rights of all young Victorians.  

    Youth Mentoring Hub

    The Youth Mentoring Hub was developed by Youth Affairs Council Victoria, and provides a structured and trusting relationship that brings young people together with caring individuals who offer guidance, support and encouragement.

    Marram Nganyin (we are strong in the Wurundjeri language), program is designed to support the delivery of mentoring for Aboriginal young people (12 to 25 years old) by local Aboriginal services.

    Phone (03) 9267 3799

    Level 2 172 Flinders Street Melbourne VIC 3001

  • Housing

    Accommodation support resources for young people aged 16 to 25 years:

    Melbourne Youth Support Service

    Melbourne Youth Support Service (MYSS) is a statewide homelessness access point service for young people aged from 16 to 24, providing information, short term support and referral for young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. MYSS offers face-to-face and telephone services.  MYSS also maintains a daily register of available crisis youth refuge beds.

    Phone (03) 9614 3688 Phone 1800 825 955 for 24 hour homelessness assistance.

    19 King St Melbourne VIC 3001

    Note: Temporary relocation to 244 Flinders St, Melbourne from 16 July 2018 to February 2019

    Launch Housing

    Launch Housing provides crisis accommodation and manages properties throughout Melbourne for people experiencing homelessness.  Education First Youth Foyers, provide affordable accommodation, education, training and employment for 16 to 24 year olds studying at  Holmesglen TAFE, Kangan TAFE and Shepparton GOTAFE.

    DHHS, Kids Under Cover and Salvation Army

    Phone 1800 825 955 (24 hour statewide toll free) if you need urgent accommodation. Outside business hours, calls will be directed to Salvation Army Crisis Services.

    If you (or someone you know) are homeless, at risk of homelessness or escaping family violence, you can speak with a housing and support worker.

    For an extensive list of contacts, see the Getting help page on DHHS Services website.

    Also see the DHHS Housing.vic website.

    Other housing options include Kids Under Cover who can provide 'studio accommodation' for young people 12 to 25 years.

  • Health

    Health information about services and programs for young people:

    Community Health Centres

    Providing: health services, including drug and alcohol, disability, dental, post-acute care, home and community care, mental health services and community rehabilitation.

    See the Community Health Directory on the Health.vic website.

    Centre for Adolescent Health, Royal Children’s Hospital

    The Centre for Adolescent Health team at the Royal Children’s Hospital provides care and management to adolescents and their families. Specialist services include:  gender service, eating disorders services, chronic illness peer support, young people’s health services - homeless inpatient and outpatient medical services.

    Phone (03) 9345 5890

    2 Gatehouse St Parkville VIC 3052

    Family Planning Victoria

    Family Planning Victoria clinics offer the option of appointments or a drop-in service where the expert staff can assist with a wide range of reproductive and sexual health services in a confidential setting, for both young men and young women.

    Phone 1800 013 952

    Level 1, 94 Elizabeth St Melbourne VIC 3000

    1800 My Options

    1800 My Options will provide information about sexual and reproductive health and direction to clinical services such as contraception, pharmacy services, counselling support, termination providers and a range of other services.

    Phone 1800 696 784

    Young Women’s Health Program, Royal Women's Hospital

    Young Women’s Health Program offers care and education for young pregnant and parenting women aged 19 years and under. The program aims to support young women to stay connected and on track with future careers and education as well as supporting them through the birth and care of their baby.

    Phone: (03) 9344 2189

    132 Grattan St Carlton VIC 3052

  • Counselling

    For confidential counselling or to talk to someone about issues that are negatively impacting upon your life, contact:

    Kids Helpline

    Kids Helpline responds to the needs of children and young people aged 5 to 25 years old. Kids Helpline is open 24 hour 7 days a week with telephone and online counselling service. A translation service is available.

    Phone 1800 551 800 free call

    Healthy Families Beyond Blue

    Beyond Blue Healthy Families is all about giving information to support parents to support young people. Healthy Families also help with new parent mental health and wellbeing.

    Phone 1300 224 636


    Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to 12 to 25 year olds, along with assistance in promoting young peoples’ wellbeing. This covers four core areas: mental health, physical health, work and study support and alcohol and other drug services.

    Yarnsafe is part of headspace, and is aimed at Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people.

    Phone 1800 650 890 - available 7 days a week, between 9:00am and 1:00am.

  • Education and training

    Department of Education and Training

    Navigator re-engagement program

    The Navigator program works to support disengaged young people aged between 12 and 17 to return to education and learning. Navigator works with young people, their families and support networks to address issues underlying disengagement and help them re-engage with their education.

    Reconnect: Engagement and learning support program

    The Reconnect: Engagement and learning support program assists young people aged between 15 and 24 who have left school without completing Year 12 and are not in education, to commence and stay in vocational training.

    LOOKOUT education support centres

    LOOKOUT education support centres are designed to improve educational outcomes for children and young people living in out-of-home care.

    Skills First youth access initiative

    The Skills First youth access initiative helps young people involved with child protection or youth justice orders by providing them with tuition fee waiver and a pathway to employment.

    Technical and Further Education (TAFE)

    TAFEs offer training courses across the state and help develop skills and knowledge to expand employment opportunities and support industry.

    Learn Local Employment Network

    Learn Local and Employment Networks aim to improve outcomes for young people aged between 10 and 25 years old, by increasing opportunities for their participation, attainment and successful transitions in education, training or employment.

    Learn Local

    Learn Local organisations across Victoria offer a range of education and training programs designed to meet learning needs of young people. There are Learn Locals in the local community that can help with return to study, improve reading, writing and maths skills, gain a qualification, get a job or learn something new.

  • Parenting support

    Services and programs that provide parenting information for young parents:

    Cradle to Kinder and Aboriginal Cradle to Kinder

    The Cradle to Kinder and Aboriginal Cradle to Kinder program is an intensive ante-natal and post-natal support service to provide longer term, intensive family support for vulnerable young mothers and their families.


    Parentline is a confidential and anonymous phone counselling service for parents and carers of children and teenagers in Victoria. Parentline offers counselling, information and support around a range of parenting issues.

    Phone 13 22 89


    Mensline provides parenting advice for first time dads. 

    Phone 1300 789 978

  • Young refugees

    Programs and services to assist refugee young people in Victoria:

    Centre for Multicultural Youth

    The Centre for Multicultural Youth supports young people 12 to 25 years old from migrant and refugee backgrounds, who are newly-arrived in Australia.  

    Phone (03) 9349 3466

    Level 1, 308 Drummond St Carlton VIC 3053

    Department of Home Affairs

    The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for multicultural affairs and immigration, citizenship services, refugee and humanitarian programs. 

    Phone (02) 6264 1111

    Visa and Citizenship Office

    2 Lonsdale St Melbourne VIC 3000

    National Office

    6 Chan St Belconnen ACT 2617

    Spectrum migrant resource centre

    Spectrum youth services works with  young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds aged 12 to 25.

    Phone (03) 9496 0200

    251 High St Preston VIC 3072

    Victorian foundation for survivors of torture

    Foundation House is a statewide service supporting people of refugee backgrounds  who have experienced torture or other traumatic events in their country of origin or while fleeing those countries. Foundation House is run by Victorian foundation for survivors of torture.

    Phone  (03) 9388 0022

    6 Gardiner St Brunswick VIC 3056