Utility relief grant scheme (non-mains)

Non-mains utility relief is available to Victorians on very low incomes who have experienced unexpected hardship.

What is the grant?

The grant provides help to pay a non-mains energy or water bill that is overdue due to a temporary financial crisis.

This can include bills for:

  • Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
  • Diesel and petrol (for a generator)
  • Heating oil
  • Firewood
  • Metered electricity from an embedded network
  • Carted water.

Who can apply for the grant?

An account holder who holds one of the following eligible cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Card.

If you don’t have one of these cards but you are on a very low income, you may also be eligible.

The grant is available to renters and homeowners.

What are the criteria for the grant?

You must show that you have no way of paying the account without assistance, and

You must meet one of the five following criteria:

  • You have had a substantial increase in utility use
  • You have had a recent decrease in income, for example, lost your job
  • You have had high unexpected costs for essential items
  • The cost of shelter is more than 30 per cent of your household income
  • The cost of utility use is more than 10 per cent of your household income.

How much is the grant?

The amount of the grant is based on the amount you owe at the time of the application. It is capped at six months’ worth of utility use up to a maximum of $650.

You may also be able to apply if you do not currently owe on a bill but know that you will not be able to afford your next supply bill.

How often can I claim a grant?

A grant can only be given once every two years.

Find out more and apply for the grant

Phone the Concessions information line on 1800 658 521.

  • How is the grant paid?

    The grant is paid to the supplier and the supplier will credit the grant against your outstanding debt.

  • How long will my application take?

    Applications take approximately four to six weeks to process, from the time that a completed form is received.

    We will write to you once your application has been considered.

  • What information do I need to include with my application?

    You will to include an invoice from the supplier you owe money to with your application. Our staff will tell you what is needed when sending you an application.

  • I received a grant of less than $650 – can I receive more?

    You are not guaranteed to receive a grant of $650.

    The grant is capped at six months of usage, up to a maximum of $650. We can never pay more than the amount owing on your bill.

    The amount granted is also based on the reasons you have given for applying in your application form.

    If you want to discuss the amount of your grant, call the Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521.

Concessions information line
1800 658 521