Intake and response service

Our disability Intake and Response Service works with people with a disability to explore which support and services will best meet their needs.

The service can provide information about local supports and services. It can also help with planning and short-term support for people with disability, their families and carers.

Who can request support?

People with a disability, their family or carers can request disability supports if:

  • You have a disability and it impacts on your mobility, communication, self-care or self-management
  • Your support request meets specific requirements related to the service you are seeking.

You may get assistance if you meet the criteria as determined under the Disability Act 2006. This Act is available from Victorian Legislation and Parliamentary Documents (Go to Victorian Law Today then Search, Acts and use the key word Disability).

Note: Supports available through Disability Services may not always be suitable. For example, a person with a chronic health issue may have their needs better met through health services.

Do I get a say in what kind of supports I receive?

We use a self-directed approach to disability supports. This means, you and your family will be supported to plan what you need to meet your goals and decide how the supports will be managed.

What will our disability Intake and Response Service need to know?

The kinds of questions you will be asked include:

  • About your circumstances - why you are requesting disability supports now
  • About any supports you may already be using - including funded or informal supports, such as help from family members.

If your needs can be better met by a community service, they will provide you with contact information for the service.

If you need specialist disability supports, they will explain the next steps to you, which may include assessment and a referral to a planner or case manager who will work with you to explore a range of ways your needs can be met.

Where can I find out more?

To make an enquiry or for more information about disability support, you, or a person who supports you, can contact the Intake and Response Service on:

  • Phone: 1800 783 783 - 9 AM to 5 PM - Monday to Friday
  • TTY: 1800 008 149 - 9 AM to 5 PM - Monday to Friday.


You can contact Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50.

If you are deaf, have a hearing impairment or complex communication needs

You can contact:

  • Your local disability Intake and Response Service on TTY 1800 008 149
  • The National relay service on 13 36 77
  • Speech-to-speech relay service on 1300 555 727.

Ask to be connected to your local Intake and Response Service telephone number. 

Further support

Information about community supports and services for people with disabilities, their families and carers is available from a range of outlets including: