Are you a concession card holder using a life support machine at home? If yes, you could be eligible for concessions on your electricity and water bills.
What does this concession apply to?
Mains domestic electricity accounts.
Mains water accounts (for haemodialysis machines only).
Who can apply for the concession?
An electricity or water account holder who:
- Holds an eligible concession card (Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card, Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card) and
- Uses an eligible life support machine or
- Has a household member who uses an eligible life support machine.
What machines are eligible for the concession?
Approved machines are those that use at least 1,880 kilowatt hours of electricity annually. Machines already approved are:
- Intermittent peritoneal dialysis machines (electricity)
- Oxygen concentrators (electricity)
- Haemodialysis machines (electricity and water).
Applications for other machines must be approved by the department.
Most continuous positive airways pressure (CPAP) machines do not meet the 1,880 kilowatt hour threshold.
How much is the concession?
The electricity discount is the cost of 1,880 kilowatt hours (470 kilowatt hours per quarter) of electricity each year, calculated using the general domestic tariff of your retailer.
The water discount for haemodialysis users is the cost of 168 kilolitres (42 kilolitres per quarter) of water each year.
How do I apply for the concession?
For an application form phone:
- Your electricity retailer or water corporation or
- The hospital supplying the life support machine or
- The Concessions information line 1800 658 521 (toll free).
The application form needs to be completed and signed by your doctor, nurse or hospital social worker confirming your use of a life support machine. Once completed, send the form to your electricity retailer and/or water corporation.
Your electricity retailer and/or water corporation will check your concession card details with Centrelink and apply the concession to your bill.
Phone your electricity retailer or the Concessions information line.